Publish your article by submitting to one of our open access journals. We value our authors as the foundation of our business and strive to build long-term relationships with them.
Key benefits of publishing with AOSIS OpenJournals
Deciding where to send a manuscript is always a difficult decision. Many factors are weighed prior to a final submission. Publishing with us carries many benefits.
- Authors retain copyright: you do not transfer copyright to the publisher as all manuscripts are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.
- Friendly usage policies: readers are granted unrestricted usage of all published work. The condition is that the author must be acknowledged and the original source of the work must be cited. To learn more about the correct citation of published work, click here.
- Fast publication: our efficient publishing processes and review practices allow us topublish within the shortest possible period of time.
- Personal and friendly service: receive personalised author assistance. We will assist you meet the journal specified requirements.
- Peer review: your work receives efficient, fair and comprehensive peer-review.
- Quality, accuracy and preservation: your work will reflect its intent. We add value to your work for future generations to build on.
- International distribution: your content is disseminated across multiple platforms for a truly global audience. All articles are search engine optimised through publication in PDF, HTML, ePUB and XML formats.
- Online submission: submit and track your submission throughout the entire publication process.
- Article statistics: view the latest access statistics for your own articles.
Will it cost anything to publish with AOSIS OpenJournals?
Publishing in open access is unfortunately not without costs. AOSIS OpenJournals defrays these costs partly through collection of article processing fees (APFs). The final APFs amount will depend on the subsidy (if any) received from the title owner of the particular journal. Some journals charge no APFs because they are fully subsidised by the title owner. You need to consult the website of the journal of interest to you.
What do article processing fees (APFs) pay for?
APFs pay for:
- Developing, and maintaining and hosting the electronic platform for peer review and publication.
- Manuscript administration and peer review administration.
- Professional language and orthographic editing.
- Preparation in various formats (e.g. PDF, HTML, EPUB, XML) for online publication.
- Publishing, maintaining and archiving for immediate access.
- Other value-added services such as: Digital Object Identifier (DOI) allocation in CrossRef, Plagiarism screening, linking references to sources, etc.
Who will be responsible for payment of the APFs?
When applicable, the submitting author is responsible for the payment of the APF’s. S/he must confirm, at the time of submission, that they will organise payment should the article be accepted for publication. This responsibility may not be delegated to any third party unless agreed to by the publisher.
At what point do I have to pay APFs?
APFs become payable only once a manuscript has received editorial acceptance, following peer review. There editor-in-chief is responsible for the editorial acceptance decision, which is not influenced by the requirement or ability of the author(s) to pay APFs. At this stage formatting checks (copyediting, layout and proofreading) on the manuscript will commence. Once these are completed, and full payment of the APFs has been received, the article will be published online. AOSIS OpenJournals will send an invoice to the submitting author, and APFs are due within 30 days of the date of invoicing.
How do I make the APFs payment?
Payment can be made by credit card, electronic funds transfer (EFT), or cheque. Prompt payment is advised, as the article will not be published until full payment is received. If payment is done by EFT from a non-South African bank account, the submitting author will be responsible for any bank transfer charges at the time of the transaction. In all cases a receipt will be sent by email once payment has been received.
AOSIS OpenJournals strives to provide the highest possible standard of service to authors. See some comments from authors who have published their articles in AOSIS OpenJournals journals:
'Thanks again for all your help and the great service from the journal throughout the submission and review process'
'Many thanks for doing a good job on the layout'
'Ons is baie tevrede met julle uitstekende diens. Julle werk is van wêreldklas gehalte'
'Thanks a lot for your constant communication. It’s quite rare to come across '
'My komplimênte en gelukwense aan die span! Baie goed gedoen.'